go to home page go to byland abbey pages go to fountains abbey pages go to kirkstall abbey pages go to rievaulx abbey pages go to roche abbey pages
The Cistercians in Yorkshire title graphic
 

Text only version

Rievaulx Abbey: Location

Rievaulx Abbey: History
Sources
Foundation
Consolidation
Rise and Fall
Dissolution

Rievaulx Abbey: Buildings
Precinct
Church
Cloister
Sacristy
Library
Chapter House
Parlour
Dormitory
Warming House
Day Room
Refectory
Kitchen
Lay Brothers' Range
Novices' quarters
Abbot's Lodging
Infirmary
Guesthouse
Gatehouse

Rievaulx Abbey: Lands

Rievaulx Abbey: People

Multimedia

Abbeys

People

Glossary

Bibliography

Evaluation

Contact Us


The abbots of Rievaulx

1. This information is drawn essentially from The Heads of Religious Houses in England and Wales 940-1216, ed. D. Knowles and C. N. L. Brooke (Cambridge, 1972), p. 140; The Heads of Religious Houses in England and Wales II 1216-1377, ed. D. M. Smith (Cambridge, 2001), pp. 302-3, but also utilises C. Clay, ‘The early abbots of the Yorkshire Cistercian houses’, Yorkshire Arch. Journal (1955), pp. 8-43, at pp. 31-37; Cartularium Abbathiae de Rievalle, ed. J.C. Atkinson, Surtees Soc. 83 (1889), hereafter cited as Rievaulx Cartulary; Monks, Friars and Nuns, ed. C. Cross and N. Vickers (Huddersfield, 1995), pp. 167-185.
2. Clay, ‘Early abbots’, p. 36