John of Hessle, abbot
of Fountains (1211-1220), bishop of Ely (1220-1225)
John of Hessle, the second of the ‘three
abbot Johns’, continued the building work begun by his predecessor.
It was during his abbacy that responsibility for Lyse
Norway was transferred from Fountains to Alvastra, in Sweden.
John was promoted to the bishopric of Ely, where he died and was
buried. His skeleton was recovered in 1770, when the cathedral
choir was repaved. The skeleton was in episcopal garb, with an
oak pastoral staff, gilt and painted, and a ring, which was removed.(1)