Glanawydan was founded in 1170 or 1195-1200. It was colonised
with monks from Inislounaght.
By 1227, however, the abbey was found to be too poor and lacking
in personnel to continue and in 1228 Stephen of Lexington
decided to unite the abbey with Dunbrody. In 1232 the abbey
was reduced, on account of poverty, to a grange of Dunbrody. Inislounaght
regained possession of the property, c. 1278, when filiation with
Mellifont was restored and it has been suggested that Glanawydan
was revived as an abbey for a time. In 1541 Glanawydan came as
part of the possessions of Inislounaght.